Monday, March 17, 2008

Summary of final day at Davos

Well, I'm going to keep this one really short.

We woke up and looked out at the snowy world. It was lovely. After saying our goodbyes to everyone at breakfast, we went out and threw powdery snowballs at each other. Swiss Chris came with us to the ski rental place as his skis were there, and then we went to the train station which was right next door and, using his native tongue, helped us buy (read "bought") our train tickets back to Zurich Airport for us. Then we hit the slopes for our final morning.

The slopes looked totally different from what we were used to. Everything was covered in a layer of powdery snow. It was soft and fluffly, like putting your hands through flour. We wandered around for quite a while before we got to skiing, just looking at the new snow that lay over everything - on the bridges, the stones by the river, the trees, and covering all the slopes in what looked like whipped cream, making then enticing, making us drool over the prospect of being the first to step on it, ski over it.




Following our lessons and my newfound ability to turn, slow down, and stop, I got over enthusiastic and took a nasty fall down a very sleep slope. Skis went this way, legs went that, poles flew somewhere, hat disappeared, I flipped into the air, revolved in a horizontal position, touched down hard, thought "OW! I thought powder snow was supposed to be fluffy," then "Actually, this isn't as bad as it couldn't have been," (all that in about a split second) eventually skidded to a halt, saw the tip of Sameer's head somewhere above me, heard him call "Faranaaz, are you alright?" Sat up, realized there was snow down my back, all over me, and in my hair. Also, surprisingly, my glasses were still on my face. Then, all shaken and stirred, gathered up my bits and bobs, wondered how many people saw me wipe out, and carefully got back onto my skis. After that everything went "downhill" for me, so to speak. But Sameer did really, really well.

At about 1 o'clock we had lunch with Pippa and Jonathan at the restaurant on our slope. Everyone else had gone off to try the slopes at Klosters. Sameer had the Chi Chi again, and I had the Rosti one last time. His Chi Chi was way better than my Rosti, so I ate most of his meal. He wasn't too please.

Then we went to get our things, which we'd left in Pippa's room as we had to check out in the morning already. We showered in Patrick and Florence's room and then, at about 2:45, we caught the bus outside the hotel. Got to the Davos Platz station and caught our train to Landquart. Changed trains there to Zurich Central. Changed trains there to Zurich Flughaven (airport). Caught our plane. Slept the whole way to Luton. Got off there and got a taxi to Welwyn Garden City train station. Took the train there to Cambridge station. Then caught another taxi (in the pouring rain) to Wolfson. Arrived Wolfson 11:45. For those who aren't that math savvy, this works out to a total travel time of 9 hours. At that rate, we might as well have flown back to SA. ;)

And that was our Davos ski trip in a rather large nutshell.

For a final bit of cool stuff, play the video below.

5 comments:

robotSharon said...

well done on the skiing! your guys ar e natural!

I am very glad you didnt break anything, and came back with a great skill :)

reyaaz said...

Hiya. That was an awesome series of postings - especially liked the detailed descriptions on how to and how not to ski. Vicarious skiing in front of a heater in SA! (yes, the first cold front of the season has arrived down south). Anyway - read like lots of fun. Oh - and I think the producers of Star Trek Voyager missed out on an important plot device - Seven of Nine never wore a polka dot body suit :-) Reyaaz

Anonymous said...

I am so jeleous of you guys I feel ill. I am super glad that your having such an awesome time =)

Joseph said...

I prefer the Sameer before skiing :P

Ethné said...

Looking like a pro! I am impressed :) If we ever go skiing, we'll definitely take some lessons on the first day.