Saturday, February 9, 2008

Omnia illa et ante fiebant, omnia illa et rursus fient

So say we all.

Spent the entire day walking around London. Ironically, not my favourite thing in the world to do. But anyway. So we went to Forbidden Planet, which was cool. Didn't manage to get the Serenity replica I wanted but at least got the first graphic novel of Buffy Season 8: The Shape of Things to Come and also 1602 by Neil Gaiman. Well, at least we got them the second time round when we came back with Sharon and Byron.

Oh, we met up with Sharon and Byron today. Highlight of the day muchly. :) We had quite a bit of catching up to do so it was great to get mochas from Cafe Nero and just chill and chat about stuff. Hopefully, they will come to Cambridge in the week.

Oh, and Sharon took this picture of me and Sameer in Picadilly Square.


Lamiese and Hooman met up with us in Leicester Square after their course. Then we popped into a place called Waxy O'Connor's (virtual tour via the link) which is just off Leicester Square and is apparently very famous. It's an enormous bar - huge. About four stories high and G-d knows how far across. All heavy wooden beams, brass studded wooden floors, and dark corners. The place was so packed you couldn't move and it was crawling with Londoners and antipodeans, apparently, a good place to watch a rugby match. The music was extremely loud but the crowd was older and people were generally just milling about, having a drink and talking (loudly over the music). We didn't stay very long, just enough to get the vibe and to see the enormous carved wooden tree in one area. It's very much a sort of fantasy inspired place I think but not very much me or Sameer. Perhaps it would look different during the daytime.

I have to say I much preferred the Coat and Badge in Putney, where Sameer's MBA peep's met up today for lunch. Here are some pics. Not sure if you exactly get the vibe but it very much had the feel of being in someone's study or parlour which I liked. More my style. I know - I'm a boring, uncool, geek-person but I can't help it, that's just who I am. :P These are only some of the pics, there are more on Sameer's Facebook.




Hmmmm. What else did we do? Oh, the walk from Putney Bridge, across the Thames and through Putney High Street was lovely. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but I would love to go back at some point so maybe I will in future. I much preferred walking around there than walking around central London. What can I say, I am just not a city slicker.

Oh, we also went into Borders and got another Neil Gaiman book, titled Neverwhere. So I'm quite keen to read that.

Oh, and almost forgot to mention that when we went back to King's Cross to get the train home, we stopped at Platform 9 and 3/4s. Here I am, making my way towards the Hogwarts Express.


By the way, none of this is in chronological order. I'm just too tired and frazzled and engrossed in my Bear McCreary to be thorough and orderly. :P

3 comments:

Ethné said...

Hey, you guys met up - that is so cool! Neverwhere is a book I very much enjoyed reading, and I'm planning on buying the graphic novel (GN) version of it too. I was waiting for Buffy S08 to come out in GN form before buying it - how many issues does it collect btw? I hadn't heard of 1602, but it certainly does sound very interesting. Thanks for the update and pics :)

faranaaz said...

:)

We were so torn between buying Neverwhere the graphic novel and Neverwhere the book. So we eventually decided to get the book first but I have this feeling we will also be getting the GN at some point.

The Buffy GN is pretty cool. I read the first one about a year ago! It was good to get a nice big chunk of it, and I had such a good time reading it because it is *so* Joss! Just as if there really was a Buffy Season 8. I think there were 6 issues in it, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure when the next set comes out. Apparently Angel S6 is moving a bit more slowly. There are only a few of those out and the GN won't be out for a looonnnggg while.

The meetup was indeed of the cool. I had all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings. Like having a piece of home right here. It was much needed and much appreciated. I felt rejuvenated after. Can't wait for you guys to get here too! Well, nearby here at any rate. ;)

Anonymous said...

You captured the 'Byron-making-a-point' pose perfectly! Really glad to see you're all doing well and good to see S & B again. Missing you guys!