Thursday, February 14, 2008

Walking tour of Cambridge

On Monday afternoon, the Sainsbury peeps (and I) got taken on a short walking tour of Cambridge by Roger Morgan, their supervisor at the Institute for Manufacturing. I was just too lazy to blog about it until now. :P Here are some highlights from the tour.


We started off at Queen's College, which is just opposite the Institute. Here's Roger pointing out an interesting sundial in one of the court's.

Here's the sundial. Also note how the bricks in the wall are really thin compared to modern bricks. This was how they used to make bricks in the mid-1400s, when the college was founded.


One of the court's in Queen's contains this interesting gallery, which used to be the Master's Lodge. It was built for the Master of the college and he used to live their with his family. Apparently, it's a good indication of what a rich, manor house would have looked like in the late 1400s and it's still standing and in use today. The heavy wooden beams that you see also date from that time. If you look at the bottom where those arches are, there are covered corridors that you can walk through, and there are doors at random intervals that lead to rooms for the professors.


Here's an example of a more modern building in Queen's. This is where the students stay these days. It has central heating. Tee-hee. They say the long, narrow windows on the building on the left are supposed to look like tree trunks when viewed from across the river, through a stand of trees but if you ask me, they still look like glass bits in a brick wall on an ugly 90s building. :P I think the architect dropped the ball a bit on this one.


And, here's a picture taken from the Mathematical Bridge, which is part of Queen's. (Remember that picture I took of it from my first day at Cambridge?) This is the view to the right, looking up the Cam to the next college over.


Then we crossed the Cam, and walked along the Backs, and came across this idyllic scene.


Then we went to St John's and Trinity but I think I will leave that for another post!

No comments: