Monday, February 4, 2008

Jobs and Books

Well, unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share today. I took a few of the gardens here at Wolfson but they were a bit tame and I haven't got them off the camera yet.

Today, as I was preparing to leave for town, I got a phone call from the Temporary Employment Service. They had a sit in job to offer me and I said yes. So it's five hours of office admin, between 12 and 5 on Wednesday at the University's Legal Services office. The pay is £9.80 per hour which is pretty nifty I think! So obviously, I jumped at the opportunity. Then I headed off to town to spend money that I hadn't earned yet. Of course, at the time I didn't realise that that's what I was doing. But in retrospect, it's pretty clear.

It felt as if I was cycling for the first time in days but actually the last time I cycled was Saturday when we went to the Grafton Centre. Anyway, off I went. Although it had rained earlier in the morning, the sky was clear and the sun was putting a golden glow on all the roads and pavements. It was lovely. There was barely a breeze and so it felt quite exhilirating to be out and speeding along on my bike with it's rattling front basket. (It is so irritating - I must make a plan to get some cable ties for it.)

As usual, I parked my bike at St Mary's and made my way to the market. It took me a long while to find something worth buying. For a moment there I thought I was going to end up getting Cold Mountain or something by Kazui Ishiguro, books that know you really should read but can't actually be bothered with. I was saved by Ian McEwan's Atonement, brand new and only £3. And around the corner, in the Speculative Fiction/Horror section (because I know I will 'hit a wall' with Atonement at some point) I got a collection of short stories called The Mammoth Book of Monsters for only £4, again brand new. Be still my heart. It has contributions from authors such as Joe R. Lansdale and Clive Barker. On the whole, I was quite happy with my purchases.

After browsing through Next and wanting to buy absolutely everything and then Marks & Spencers and wanting to buy pretty much nothing, I was saved by the bell. The hubby called to ask where we were meeting for lunch. Cafe Indigo was the answer.

Now, I really wanted to take pictures of Cafe Indigo but firstly the place is so small, you could back all the way up to the wall and still not get everything in. And secondly, well it just didn't feel right to so obviously take pictures of random people. So you'll have to use your imaginations and picture the Coffee Bean, before it moved and upgraded. But with creaky wooden doors and floors, and walls that are a lot more colorful, purple, blue, and orange.

So we sat there on a couch and spent way too much money on sandwiches and coffee. They were good though. And we chatted for a bit about this and that. Okay, it was about our hopes and fears for work and living in the UK but it sounds cheesy when you say it that way. Then Sameer had to go back to the institute and I decided to leave town before I spent any more money. Well, I almost succeeded.

The little road that you take to get from the Indigo to Kings Way opens out right next to a books and art supply shop. Originally, I just meant to go in and look. Well, I almost ended up buying an entire pack of oil paints, brushes, linseed oil, turpentine, and pallette knives (trowels). Then I came back to my senses and decided to get a set of charcoal pencils. Then I put it down and stepped away slowly. I was almost out of the shop when I saw an inconspicuous staircase and a sign that said "Sale". I gave in to temptation.

Downstairs everything was on sale for less than half price. Sameer's lucky I got out with just one book - The Complete Book of Drawing Skills, £4. After that, I left, walking quickly with my eyes downcast lest I be drawn in by any other Sale signs. I unlocked my bike and cycled home without further event. And here I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first paycheck... must be a nice feeling (even if you dont have it yet!)
& the fun of exploring and life in a new town.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I so support the buying of the charcoal set!...come over to the dark side:)

Ethné said...

Congratulations on finding some work - way to finance more books! ;) The place really sounds beautiful in that Englishy-Harry-Pottery kind of way :)