Monday, December 31, 2007

Sunrise, January 1st, 2008

So, with the parents trying to discourage me from going and the husband fast asleep with tissue stuffed in his ears (he's out of industrial earplugs), I made the decision to go on out to Jammie Steps and watch the sunrise, even if it meant I had to walk out of the house at 5am and drive there myself. As I drove along, I realized that I'd almost left it for too late. The sky was already starting to lighten. I got to campus and made my way up the steps to where the Nordiens were stationed. It turned out, I hadn't missed much.

The air was still (apparently a big change from previous years) and smelled of trees. We watched as the clouds that were skudding over the mountain turned from purple, to pink, to golden, and finally a silver tinged white. The sky went from navy to a brilliant azure. It was breathtaking.

In a moment of introspection that was probably influenced by my hopes and fears for the changes that are come in the New Year, I realized that sunrises can be seen as a metaphor for life. You can't compare one phase of the sunrise to any other. You can only hope to find the beauty in each and enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm glad I decided to watch the sun rise today.

1 comment:

Ethné said...

I've only seen the sun rise a very few times, one of them with the hubby at Fish Hoek beach, while watching fishermen take their trawlers out to sea. That was the day I got a speeding fine on the way home. It's just made me think, now - this was actually my last chance, for a few years at least, to see a New Year's sun rise in South Africa. Makes me feel a bit sad. So thank you for sharing your beautiful description of a South African sunrise.