The going away gathering was held early in the morning. I almost missed it. I was taken aback by the sincerety of Roger's speech. It was so tinged by nostalgia that I suddenly realized that I'd miss Laragh, particularly the Laragh that used to be, the one on Kloof Street with the intimate little rooms, run down though they were, with the friendly people who'd smile and introduce themselves, and show an interest in your life. The laid back Laragh.
I got a card that said "Congratulations". It had penguins on it, wishing another penguin goodbye as he flew off in a hot air balloon. It was sweet. Even the generic Good Lucks and Take Cares were sweet. Particularly sweet were Kirk and Karien's messages - short and sweet but signed "Love". I choked up.
My going away speech was impromptu but I really felt a gush of emotion for the place. Sure it hadn't all been rosy and great. There were some dire moments, it's true. But for the most part I was happy there, accepted by others, and valued for my contribution. For that I guess I'll always cherish it and look back at it with nostalgia. At lunch I was ambushed by the Magic peeps. I suppose I should have expected it, since we've all become so adept at keeping secret the suprise gatherings and gift givings that we throw each other but I really didn't expect it. I honestly thought we were getting together for one last coffee break. There were Ethne and Sharon (my Alt+130 is not working on this laptop coz there's no keypad!), with chocolates and flowers, and a personalized card, which made the leaving so much more real. It wasn't just random people or casual acquaintances saying Goodbye from Laragh but also those who I'd been closest to during my time there, and those who'd managed to escape before me.
It was the first job that I've had where I can tell someone "Remember when..." and laugh about it. But it's over now. And I've three or four weeks left. Unemployed, future slightly uncertain, back in my mum's house, hoping things will go well and turn out they way we want them to.
4 comments:
Congrats on starting a new chapter in your life! I think the next couple of weeks will fly by, next you know, you'll be in Cambridge! May 2008 be filled with lots of adventures!
Yeah, leaving Laragh is a bitter-sweet moment.
The first time I left, everyone gathered in the kitchen in the old building ... it was overwhelming that the people I worked with cared so much. That knowledge was part of the reason I returned.
During my second stunt, I had the honor and pleasure of meeting, working with, and befriending some of the greatest people I know. As for the work ... well now. And as you know, I didn't want a formal farewell - I wouldn't have been able to handle it.
I know that the farewell - when it's actually you standing there, with everyone around you - is a choking moment. You blink back the emotion, the tears. It's a chapter closing, with all the good mixed up with the bad. The work circle is crazy there: the optimism when starting, the realization of what and how, and the euphoric sadness when leaving.
My Laragh memories are also good ones ... I try to use the bad as a basis for "how to get better" debates.
Here's to new horizons, new experiences, and good friends :)
I like the new look and feel of your blog - much more personalized than the clean white!
Thanks! I was trying to go for something that looked clean without being too boring. :P Now I just need to design a custom banner. Hopefully, those few topics of Illustrator that I wrote will help me in that regard.
When I left, I didn't want to do the whole speech thing either, for fear of getting all choked up ya know. Luckily I had my then-boyfriend, now-husband to attract attention away from me and make a cool on-the-spot speech :)
Post a Comment