Friday, January 4, 2008

Painting with friends

This morning, Ferzana, Nuran and I set out to paint together. Ferzana has been drawing and painting for years, Nuran has been doing so as a hobby as well. I don't draw much and don't paint at all but have always been interested in doing so. As Ferzana had the most experience we decided to take her lead. We took some pictures to work from, printed them out, and stocked up on paint supplies at Builders Warehouse - turpentine, canvas, linseed oil, oil paint, and brushes. Then we came back to mum's house, set up our things in the garden, and got started.

Ferzana got us mixing paint, doing something called "scumbling" where you mix different colors together to form a background color, then we used some flat brush strokes for definition and applied more paint in lighter colors with a trowel (sorry Ferzana - painter's knife).

The result was this - a jumbo print sized picture based on the one Nuran took of sunrise. I call it "Sun rises on Jammie Steps".

I wasn't too sold on the idea at first but once I'd done scumbling on the background colors it suddenly took shape and started to resemble something, where before there was nothing. After that I decided that painting is definitely something I'd like to take further.

4 comments:

Chart Smart said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Zano said...

Twas a good painting Mrs P... you show great promise. The thing with painting is that EVERYONE can do it...

Being born with the painter's talent is a load of bollocks. As long as you paint what you SEE rather than what you KNOW or what your brain registers as an object, youre good to go. Thats the hardest bit. To UNLEARN or UNTRAIN your brain. I'm excited to start another painting!

Ethné said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ethné said...

Very cool painting Faranaaz :) Joe says, "Can we buy it cheap?" ;)