Let's see. We were at Sameer's rents until about midnight then went home to pack. Sameer and I couldn't squeeze everything into our little bags and started to get a bit short tempered with each other because it was late, we were tired, and we were all emotional too. Se he went to bed, and I stayed up because I knew I wouldn't be able to wake up early enough to finish what needed to be done. By 3:30am I had packed the last of our stuff into our bags (after chucking a load of stuff I just couldn't fit in), taken a shower and got into bed. I had this sneaking suspicion that I would be moody and depressed come morning.
Well, my cellphone went off and - naturally - I put it on snooze. But then I heard a voice - Razia's! So I hopped out of bed and jumped in with my parents to hear what she had to say (on speaker phone). When my parents were done chatting, we spoke and by that time Sameer was up too and he also had a few words with her. It was such a strange coincidence (fate?) but it put everyone in an upbeat mood.
At 7:20 I started hustling people towards the gate because whenever we fly long distance, I always have this paranoid fear that we will miss our plane. Also, I knew someone was going to open the floodgates any moment. So we got to the gate and everyone was just standing around and I decided to just take the leap and make with the hugging and kissing before people started bawling. I was very proud of myself. I only shed a few tears. The same cannot be said of certain other people. (Nuran, Ferzana - I mean you two!) I think my mum held up quite well under the circumstances but I also think she was holding herself back for the same reasons that I was. We'd spoken about my leaving before the time a couple of times so I didn't think that anything more needed to be said. It would just make both of us bawl anyway. :(
There were a lot of movies but I didn't see anything good. I watched Hairspray in fastforward then watched about ten minutes of High School Reunion just to see more of Zac Efron. (He was much better in Hairspray, although the film sucked on the whole.) Oh, I watched Shrek 3. Ho-hum.
Ohmigod I forgot how big London was! As we landed I just kept seeing lights, roads, cars, highways, housing estates. It just went on and on and on as far as the eye could see. And planes. Dude! (I mean "For Real!") As we descended, I spotted four other planes around us. And as we landed one plane took off alongside us and another in the distance, and then another landed. Why did I not notice this the last time I was at Heathrow? Anyway, we were 20 minutes early but after the planes taxiing/parking/landing system quit on us, we had to wait 20 minutes to get a tug to drag us to the terminal.
Anyway, then there was passport control, which was fine except that we had to have xrays taken to rule out TB. (VFS didn't tell us about that. Take note all you prospective work visa peeps.)
1 comment:
im so glad you guys are settling in and having a good time.
Twas VERY sad to see you go but what can you do?!?!
i'll be in the Uk as of the 7th may. its a night flight so thats GREAT. leave CT at like 21:30 i think and arrive at 6:50 te next morning....
listen, as your husband what the vfs website is.. i get vigina schhol of flight at www.vfs.co.za
i'm worried about that R20k in the bank account bizniz.
not sure if they want it to be immdiately accessible or if a list of assets is okay...
Am paying the rest of my tkt tomorrow then it will be FINAL!
Post a Comment