Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ho-hum Thursday

Nothing much happening in Cambridge today. We woke up late and almost missed breakfast. Then had a really unhealthy English Breakfast (excluding the porky bits). Then decided to give English Breakfasts a miss from now on. Then I mailed a bunch of temping agencies. Then I had a nap coz I was feeling groggy from the English Breakfast and also a little moody about the prospect of going for interviews. Then I woke up and decided to go to the parlor to read. I read the Daily Telegraph and then went to have lunch, carrot soup and for dessert, a coconut and ginger rice pudding. Hmmmmm...

Then I worked on Razia's CV for a bit and decided that it needed more work, as did my own! Then I decided to go back into town to look at things in the shops. I looked and looked and saw lots of things that I liked in Next but didn't buy anything. I got a shirt from H&M for £10. Nothing particularly exciting. It's baby blue and long sleeved, for potential work.

Then I met up with Sameer and we went to Sainsbury's to shop for supplies - foody ones. We got some much needed shaving cream and stuff like peanut butter, biscuits, tea (coz I've been dying for biscuits and tea after dinner every night since we got here!) and donuts which was an impulse buy. The donuts were horrible! They were so awful we had to chuck them after one bite each! A whole 58p of my hard earned money gone! Gone I tell you!

And then the highlight of my day. Zulaigha's friend Janine invited us for dinner at her flat in Cherry Hinton. Cherry Hinton is a 20 minute cycle from the middle of town. Well. Well... Let me say no more about the cycle to Cherry Hinton.

Janine's flat is great. Just close to a supermarket, great size, neutral colors, all wonderful. And the dinner she had cooked. Oh boy! A green salad with pine-nuts, baby corn, strawberries and mange tout peas, grilled mushrooms topped with goats milk cheese and cranberry sauce, a roast chicken, grilled veges, and a potato and cauliflower casserole. *Heaven* Even more blissful was conversation, with a South African - a not-jaded one. It was such a breath of fresh air. To have the familiarity of a fellow Capetonian but the experience and wisdom of someone who's had extraordinary experiences. She gave Sameer some great advice on his career, applying for jobs, and dealing with big companies. And her confidence and enthusiasm even rubbed off on me. I don't feel as freaked out about the prospect of finding long term work her. Also, hearing her speak about her husband, mum, siblings, and hopes to one day have both a career and a family were greatly encouraging. It was such a refreshing change from the anti-kids sentiment I've been getting from some people. It was great.

And then we cycled back to Wolfson. :P

Twenty minutes later we're here at the room, calves burning, and more than a bit sweaty. I think I'll take another shower. Maybe it'll make up for those first three days we were in Europe. ;)

2 comments:

Zano said...

youre gonna lose so much weight with all that cycling!

faranaaz said...

But I'm eating enough junk to compensate so it sorta cancels out. On the other hand, Janine has enticed me back to running. She said she'll keep me company for a 10K in mid-March. So maybe. *fingers crossed*